[Kea-users] Can't upgrade MySQL schema past v6.0

[Kea-users] Can't upgrade MySQL schema past v6.0

Klaus Steden

Hi there,

I'm not sure what to do, but I'm stuck. I was trying to switch over to the ISC's 1.6 packages of everything, so after installing, I ran through the database upgrade procedure but it only got from 5.0 to 6.0.

For some reason, the 6.0 to 7.0 upgrade keeps failing, so I can't run the 1.6 software version.

Anyone else run into this one? Any advice or things I can try to fix this issue?

cheers,
Klaus

Re: [Kea-users] Can't upgrade MySQL schema past v6.0

vicky risk
Administrator
Klaus,

On Aug 26, 2020, at 6:58 PM, Klaus Steden <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi there,

I'm not sure what to do, but I'm stuck. I was trying to switch over to the ISC's 1.6 packages of everything, so after installing, I ran through the database upgrade procedure but it only got from 5.0 to 6.0.

We changed quite a few things from 1.5 to 1.6 and the upgrade was more complicated.

Vicky

Re: [Kea-users] Can't upgrade MySQL schema past v6.0

Klaus Steden

Hello Vicky,

Yes, I did, but I thought I followed the instructions. I was starting from v1.3, though, not v1.5, but I couldn't find any documentation about upgrading from a version that old. I opened a bug report as well (https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/-/issues/1401)

I notice that the link you sent discusses schema changes from v1.4 but I've only ever used the MySQL backend here, so I'm quite stumped!

cheers,
Klaus

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 11:00 AM Victoria Risk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Klaus,

On Aug 26, 2020, at 6:58 PM, Klaus Steden <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi there,

I'm not sure what to do, but I'm stuck. I was trying to switch over to the ISC's 1.6 packages of everything, so after installing, I ran through the database upgrade procedure but it only got from 5.0 to 6.0.

We changed quite a few things from 1.5 to 1.6 and the upgrade was more complicated.

Vicky

Re: [Kea-users] Can't upgrade MySQL schema past v6.0

Tomek Mrugalski-2
On 27/08/2020 03:58, Klaus Steden wrote:
> I'm not sure what to do, but I'm stuck. I was trying to switch over
> to the ISC's 1.6 packages of everything, so after installing, I ran
> through the database upgrade procedure but it only got from 5.0 to
> 6.0.
>
> For some reason, the 6.0 to 7.0 upgrade keeps failing, so I can't
> run the 1.6 software version.
It would help if the "some reason" be a bit more specific. It looks like
the first attempt to upgrade failed half-way with some parts of the
schema being updated, but not all. The follow-up tries to run the update
fails. I have no idea or suspicion why that would happen. The 7.0 schema
was introduced long time ago and I don't remember specific complaints
about it.

> Anyone else run into this one? Any advice or things I can try to fix
> this issue?
You may try to run the schema update manually. Take a look at the 6.0 to
7.0 update script here:

https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/-/blob/master/src/share/database/scripts/mysql/upgrade_6.0_to_7.0.sh.in

It should also be available in your system if you installed kea-admin:
/usr/share/kea/scripts/mysql/upgrade_6.0_to_7.0.sh

Copy the actual schema update (everything between <<EOF in line
19 and EOF in line 647) to a file and run this as a script in mysql
and see what happens.

Oh, and you did backup your DB before upgrading, right?

Tomek

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 1:11 PM Tomek Mrugalski <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 27/08/2020 03:58, Klaus Steden wrote:
> I'm not sure what to do, but I'm stuck. I was trying to switch over
> to the ISC's 1.6 packages of everything, so after installing, I ran
> through the database upgrade procedure but it only got from 5.0 to
> 6.0.
>
> For some reason, the 6.0 to 7.0 upgrade keeps failing, so I can't
> run the 1.6 software version.
It would help if the "some reason" be a bit more specific. It looks like
the first attempt to upgrade failed half-way with some parts of the
schema being updated, but not all. The follow-up tries to run the update
fails. I have no idea or suspicion why that would happen. The 7.0 schema
was introduced long time ago and I don't remember specific complaints
about it.

> Anyone else run into this one? Any advice or things I can try to fix
> this issue?
You may try to run the schema update manually. Take a look at the 6.0 to
7.0 update script here:

https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/-/blob/master/src/share/database/scripts/mysql/upgrade_6.0_to_7.0.sh.in

It should also be available in your system if you installed kea-admin:
/usr/share/kea/scripts/mysql/upgrade_6.0_to_7.0.sh

Yup, I installed 1.6.3 from ISC's repo so the tools are there as expected (I did experiment with different package versions -- 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.8.0, etc. of the upgrade script to see if that made a difference, but it did not; diffs indicate no changes between versions so I didn't expect anything different, but I did still think it useful to rule that out as a possibility.

Copy the actual schema update (everything between <<EOF in line
19 and EOF in line 647) to a file and run this as a script in mysql
and see what happens.

I wrangled someone from our database team, I will take a look at this with his help and see what happens when we try that.

Oh, and you did backup your DB before upgrading, right?

Unfortunately not with this one but this is just sandbox so it's not valuable data regardless. I will make sure to do so with our production DBs if they're not already backed up (I believe they are, but as part of a larger SQL cluster backup process).

cheers,
Klaus