[Kea-users] Client class in host reservation

[Kea-users] Client class in host reservation

Maria Hrabosova

Hello,

I have a question about reserving client classes to hosts. Let's have two client classes and one host reservation as follows:

{
     "name": "class1",
     "boot-file-name": "file1",
},

{
     "name": "class2",
     "boot-file-name": "file2",
},

{
    "hw-address": "aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff",
    "client-classes": [
        "class2"
    ]
},

Intuitively, I would expect it to be enough to specify class2 in the host reservation in order to make the host get the boot-file-name from class2. But it gets it from class1. Inspired by http://kea-users.7364.n8.nabble.com/Kea-users-client-classes-for-a-particular-MAC-Address-of-a-CPE-td843.html, I added the mac address of the host to the class test. Then the client got the option from class2 as I wanted.

{
     "name": "class2",
     "test": "pkt4.mac == 0xaabbccddeeff",
     "boot-file-name": "file2",
},

I've been wondering, what is the purpose of putting the client class to the host reservation, if I have to put the client's MAC address to the class test anyway. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Maria Hrabosova