[Kea-users] Client class in host reservation

[Kea-users] Client class in host reservation

Maria Hrabosova

Hello,

I have a question about reserving client classes to hosts. Let's have two client classes and one host reservation as follows:

{
     "name": "class1",
     "boot-file-name": "file1",
},

{
     "name": "class2",
     "boot-file-name": "file2",
},

{
    "hw-address": "aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff",
    "client-classes": [
        "class2"
    ]
},

Intuitively, I would expect it to be enough to specify class2 in the host reservation in order to make the host get the boot-file-name from class2. But it gets it from class1. Inspired by http://kea-users.7364.n8.nabble.com/Kea-users-client-classes-for-a-particular-MAC-Address-of-a-CPE-td843.html, I added the mac address of the host to the class test. Then the client got the option from class2 as I wanted.

{
     "name": "class2",
     "test": "pkt4.mac == 0xaabbccddeeff",
     "boot-file-name": "file2",
},

I've been wondering, what is the purpose of putting the client class to the host reservation, if I have to put the client's MAC address to the class test anyway. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Maria Hrabosova

Re: [Kea-users] Client class in host reservation

Tomek Mrugalski-2

Hi Maria,

Hope you're doing well. Apologies for not responding earlier. We looked at the issue and it seems the code treated the client classes differently for options and fixed fields, such as boot-file-name. This problem manifested itself if a packet belonged to two classes and you had the values defined in both. Anyway, this has been fixed now and released in 1.9.5. Would you be willing to check if this updated behavior address your needs? Also, if you're interested, the improvements were done in ticket #1672. You can see the details here: https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/-/issues/1672

If it doesn't, can you open a new ticket for this?

Hope that helps,

Tomek