[Kea-users] DHCP-DDNS Windows Domain Clients - domain is contained twice

[Kea-users] DHCP-DDNS Windows Domain Clients - domain is contained twice

Schöpke, Sebastian

Hello,

First of all, thank you very much vor this great tool. I’ve been using kea-dhcp for some time now and it is a huge improvement – in terms of interoperability and interfaces - compared to isc-dhcpd. Unfortunately, there is one thing with DDNS and DHCP I can not figure out how to configure properly. Domain-joined Windows clients add the domainname to their hostname portion by default. Linux clients never do that. In my opinion there is no solution yet if you have Windows and Linux clients within one DHCP zone.

Example: Windows-Client „A“ in domain „COMPANY.INT“ sends hostname A.COMPANY.INT to my DHCP server. KEA-DHCP expects that this is just the hostname and appends the ddns-qualifying-suffix to the domain name as well. After that, DDNS updates the host to A.COMPANY.INT.COMPANY.INT.

I cannot provide an empty ddns-qualifying-suffix as Linux Clients also use the same DHCP server.

  1. Is there any way to replace string by regex like hostname-char-replacement for single characters. Instead of replacing single characters I’d like to replace entire strings, e.g. ddns-replace-part-of-hostname: “ ‘COMPANY.INT‘ , ‘‘ “
  2. Have I missed something out? Does 1.8 or 1.9 already cover my usecase?

Regarding this issue there is also an ticket open

https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/-/issues/1529

My config:

        "ddns-generated-prefix": "host",

        "ddns-override-client-update": true,

        "ddns-override-no-update": false,

        "ddns-qualifying-suffix": "company.int.",

        "ddns-replace-client-name": "when-not-present",

        "ddns-send-updates": true,

        "ddns-update-on-renew": true,

        "dhcp-ddns": {

            "enable-updates": true,

            "max-queue-size": 1024,

            "ncr-format": "JSON",

            "ncr-protocol": "UDP",

            "sender-ip": "127.0.0.1",

            "sender-port": 0,

            "server-ip": "127.0.0.1",

            "server-port": 53001

        },

        "hostname-char-replacement": "",

        "hostname-char-set": "",

Thank you very much!

Best regards

Sebastian Schoepke

Re: [Kea-users] DHCP-DDNS Windows Domain Clients - domain is contained twice

Thomas Markwalder
Hi:

We already have an issue open for this:

https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/-/issues/1529

It's currently in the kea 1.9.backlog, so hopefully we'll get this done in the next few months.