[Kea-users] DHCP Offer Decline to UEFI Configured host

[Kea-users] DHCP Offer Decline to UEFI Configured host

Gokulakrishnan Gopalakrishnan
Currently, we are using Kea to assign IPs to my server and it works well. Now, we have configured UEFI on DELL Server and after that config, DHCP Offer is getting declined by the server. When I queried online, there was a change mentioned to change the boot filename and even that didn't help us in accepting DHCP Offer.
We just shifted back to dhcpd and things started working with UEFI config. Is there any known issue with UEFI-Kea? Do I need to change any config/DHCPOption to assign IP for DELL Server with UEFI config?

Thanks in advance,
Gokul

Re: [Kea-users] DHCP Offer Decline to UEFI Configured host

Thomas Andersen

Hi Gokul,

Are you on KEA 1.0? We were and had the same problem.

In my case, the issue lied in KEA 1.0 was responding with unicast no matter what the client requested.

UEFI is a lot more strict in terms to getting reply as requested, otherwise it will ignore the DHCP packets. It is requesting broadcast, but get a unicast response, which from UEFI point of view is malformed.

Updating to KEA 1.3 fixed the issue for us. We then wrote a hook that can enforce unicast replies on certain subnets.

Br,

Thomas

Re: [Kea-users] DHCP Offer Decline to UEFI Configured host

Gokulakrishnan Gopalakrishnan
Thanks Thomas for the quick reply. We are using Kea 1.2.0
Let me try to upgrade and try to test

Sent from my iPhone

On 16-Apr-2018, at 2:31 PM, Thomas Andersen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Gokul,

Are you on KEA 1.0? We were and had the same problem.

In my case, the issue lied in KEA 1.0 was responding with unicast no matter what the client requested.

UEFI is a lot more strict in terms to getting reply as requested, otherwise it will ignore the DHCP packets. It is requesting broadcast, but get a unicast response, which from UEFI point of view is malformed.

Updating to KEA 1.3 fixed the issue for us. We then wrote a hook that can enforce unicast replies on certain subnets.

Br,

Thomas

[Kea-users] Provide /32 network with DHCP

norujames
Hello

Can someone know if it is possible to provide /32 network to client (for
example 192.168.1.1/32), with Kea DHCP Server.
the idea is to do same configuration as PPPoE, so traffic customer is
controled by BNG (for exampe to reach 192.168.1.2/32).
Thansk for answer

Noruni

Re: [Kea-users] Provide /32 network with DHCP

Francis Dupont
I can't see any problem other than a /32 *network* is useless because
it has no available address: the broadcast address is reserved.

Re: [Kea-users] Provide /32 network with DHCP

Jason Guy
Francis,

The use-case is valid here. In PPP, you essentially create a layer2 connection, and tie it to a host address. Then you can put a special route in the host to push traffic out on the PPP connection. It is not super common anymore, but we see it from time to time. Using DHCP seems like a strange way to set this up though.

Cheers,
Jason

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 10:35 AM, Francis Dupont <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can't see any problem other than a /32 *network* is useless because
it has no available address: the broadcast address is reserved.

Re: [Kea-users] Provide /32 network with DHCP

Joelson Vendramin
Noruni,

In the past I really tried to set up this scenario, but all tests failed.
Unlike PPPoE that *can* point a default route to an IP outside the Layer2 network (that, in fact, does not exist in a /32-prefix), a "pure" Ethernet interface always requires a gateway *inside* its L2 network...

So, you'll need to put all your custumers inside some prefix in BNG. You can then provide Layer2 isolation using proxy ARP at the gateway and DHCP-snooping or any other ACL scheme at your access network.

Joelson Vendramin