[Kea-users] DHCPv4 lease reservation based on host name (option 12)

[Kea-users] DHCPv4 lease reservation based on host name (option 12)

Chaigneau, Nicolas

Hello,

I would like to implement the following feature with Kea :

Based on DHCPv4 option « host name » (12) provided by clients in DHCP requests, assign a reserved lease IP address.

However (if I understand correctly) this is not used as a matching criteria on the request, but rather as information to be provided in the response.

Can you confirm ?

If so, I think the « flex-id » commercial hook would be the solution to my requirement.

For example with the following configuration, I would be able to reserve the lease 10.0.0.7 to a client that provides « my.host » in DHCP option « host name » (12).

This IP address 10.0.0.7 would never be assigned to any other client.

Can you confirm this is correct ?

"Dhcp4": {

    "subnet4": [ { ...,

    "reservations": [

      {

        "flex-id": "my.host",

        "ip-address": "10.0.0.7"

      }

    ],

    } ], # end of subnet definitions

    "host-reservation-identifiers": ["flex-id"],

    "hooks-libraries": [

        {

            "library": "/path/libdhcp_flex_id.so",

            "parameters": {

                "identifier-expression": "option[12]"

            }

        }

    ]

}

Lastly, I would like to know if it is possible to obtain an evaluation version of the « flex-id » commercial hook, to perform some tests ?

Thanks for your answers. :)

Regards,

Nicolas.

Re: [Kea-users] DHCPv4 lease reservation based on host name (option 12)

Francis Dupont
Chaigneau, Nicolas writes:
> Reading Kea documentation, I see that the < reservations > entries can have=
>  a < hostname > field.
> However (if I understand correctly) this is not used as a matching criteria=
>  on the request, but rather as information to be provided in the response.
> Can you confirm ?

=> yes, it is not an index for the allocation engine.

> If so, I think the < flex-id > commercial hook would be the solution to my =
> requirement.

=> it is what the flex-id is for.

> This IP address 10.0.0.7 would never be assigned to any other client.
> Can you confirm this is correct ?

=> yes reserved addresses are reserved.