[Kea-users] Dynamic options generation.

Marcin Jurczuk
Hi,

I'm evaluating isc-dhcp replacement with kea and I've stumbled upon some configuration options that I don't know how to convert to kea format.
Many options in my ISC dhcp are generated "on the fly" from data retrieved from DHCP DISCOVER packets.
For example:
filename = ucase(concat(DEVICE_MODEL,"/",remote-id));

Re: [Kea-users] Dynamic options generation.

Tomek Mrugalski
W dniu 06.09.2017 o 15:29, Marcin Jurczuk pisze:

> Hi,
>
> I'm evaluating isc-dhcp replacement with kea and I've stumbled upon some configuration options that I don't know how to convert to kea format.
> Many options in my ISC dhcp are generated "on the fly" from data retrieved from DHCP DISCOVER packets.
> For example:
> filename = ucase(concat(DEVICE_MODEL,"/",remote-id));
> Where remote-id is device Mac address after some formatting and DEVICE_MODEL is value from one of fields from option-43
> In effect devices is getting string like "MOTO234/001122AABBCC"
>
> Is there a way to get same result it kea without writing hook library code ?
Sadly, no. Writing hook code is the only way for now. But it's something
that should be implemented. Can you submit a ticket for it on kea.isc.org?

Tomek

Marcin Jurczuk writes:
> I'm evaluating isc-dhcp replacement with kea and I've stumbled upon some conf
> iguration options that I don't know how to convert to kea format.

=> we have a tool doing this (it works well even there are some deep
differences between ISC DHCP and Kea). Note if the option is standard
for ISC DHCP (defined in common/tables.c) we have 2 tickets which
implement it in Kea (if it is not yet supported).

Re: [Kea-users] Dynamic options generation.

Francis Dupont
Francis Dupont writes:

I should have added my answer applies only to static (i.e. in config file)
definitions / setting data values.

W dniu 06.09.2017 o 16:50, Francis Dupont pisze:
> Marcin Jurczuk writes:
>> I'm evaluating isc-dhcp replacement with kea and I've stumbled upon some conf
>> iguration options that I don't know how to convert to kea format.
>
> => we have a tool doing this (it works well even there are some deep
> differences between ISC DHCP and Kea). Note if the option is standard
> for ISC DHCP (defined in common/tables.c) we have 2 tickets which
> implement it in Kea (if it is not yet supported).
The point of the question was to have the options generated dynamically.
And sadly that's not something you could do without a bit of programming.

Tomek