[Kea-users] Experimental binary Kea1.6 packages posted

[Kea-users] Experimental binary Kea1.6 packages posted

vicky risk
Administrator
Kea-users,

We have just set up a repository with brand-new binary packages for the Kea 1.6 beta using a hosted repository service.

Packages are available from ISC for:
CentOS7
Fedora 28 & 29
Debian 9
Ubuntu 18.10 & 19.04

You should be able to install packages from there without any account or login. If you go to the site, and click on the link ’Set Me Up’ you will find explicit scripts for updating for each of those OSes listed above.

Everything in this post is beta - the software is a beta version, we are testing the repo, and the packages are experimental.
Please give it a try and let us know what your experience is. We cannot guarantee that we won’t change anything - this is why we are asking for feedback.  If any part of the experience is dissappointing or confusing or not what what you expect, I would like to hear about it.  If you like it, it wouldn’t hurt to hear that too.

We are planning to maintain this repo and these packages going forward for new Kea releases, if all goes well.

ISC Support customers: we are setting up a restricted-access repository for the premium subscriber hooks. You should look for an update in your ticket queue next week with instructions on how to access that repository for the non-open source components.

Regards,

Vicky
-------

Victoria Risk
Product Manager
Internet Systems Consortium

Re: [Kea-users] Experimental binary Kea1.6 packages posted

Kevin Olbrich
Hello Victoria,

is it possible to also build buster? I am in the position to test
1.6.0 but only with buster, not stable / stretch.
Buster is around the corner and there is no compatible version of Kea yet.

I did a quick test with cloudsmith and it's missing buster.

Kind regards
Kevin

Am Fr., 21. Juni 2019 um 22:33 Uhr schrieb Victoria Risk <[hidden email]>:

> Kea-users,
>
> We have just set up a repository with brand-new binary packages for the Kea 1.6 beta using a hosted repository service.
> The repository is at https://cloudsmith.io/~isc/repos/kea-1-6/
>
> Packages are available from ISC for:
> CentOS7
> Fedora 28 & 29
> Debian 9
> Ubuntu 18.10 & 19.04
>
> You should be able to install packages from there without any account or login. If you go to the site, and click on the link ’Set Me Up’ you will find explicit scripts for updating for each of those OSes listed above.
>
> Everything in this post is beta - the software is a beta version, we are testing the repo, and the packages are experimental.
> Please give it a try and let us know what your experience is. We cannot guarantee that we won’t change anything - this is why we are asking for feedback.  If any part of the experience is dissappointing or confusing or not what what you expect, I would like to hear about it.  If you like it, it wouldn’t hurt to hear that too.
>
> We are planning to maintain this repo and these packages going forward for new Kea releases, if all goes well.
>
> ISC Support customers: we are setting up a restricted-access repository for the premium subscriber hooks. You should look for an update in your ticket queue next week with instructions on how to access that repository for the non-open source components.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vicky
> -------
>
> Victoria Risk
> Product Manager
> Internet Systems Consortium

Re: [Kea-users] Experimental binary Kea1.6 packages posted

Jason Guy
As far as I know, the same package should work with Buster, but I have not tried it yet.

Jason

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 6:32 PM Kevin Olbrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Victoria,

is it possible to also build buster? I am in the position to test
1.6.0 but only with buster, not stable / stretch.
Buster is around the corner and there is no compatible version of Kea yet.

I did a quick test with cloudsmith and it's missing buster.

Kind regards
Kevin

Am Fr., 21. Juni 2019 um 22:33 Uhr schrieb Victoria Risk <[hidden email]>:

> Kea-users,
>
> We have just set up a repository with brand-new binary packages for the Kea 1.6 beta using a hosted repository service.
> The repository is at https://cloudsmith.io/~isc/repos/kea-1-6/
>
> Packages are available from ISC for:
> CentOS7
> Fedora 28 & 29
> Debian 9
> Ubuntu 18.10 & 19.04
>
> You should be able to install packages from there without any account or login. If you go to the site, and click on the link ’Set Me Up’ you will find explicit scripts for updating for each of those OSes listed above.
>
> Everything in this post is beta - the software is a beta version, we are testing the repo, and the packages are experimental.
> Please give it a try and let us know what your experience is. We cannot guarantee that we won’t change anything - this is why we are asking for feedback.  If any part of the experience is dissappointing or confusing or not what what you expect, I would like to hear about it.  If you like it, it wouldn’t hurt to hear that too.
>
> We are planning to maintain this repo and these packages going forward for new Kea releases, if all goes well.
>
> ISC Support customers: we are setting up a restricted-access repository for the premium subscriber hooks. You should look for an update in your ticket queue next week with instructions on how to access that repository for the non-open source components.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vicky
> -------
>
> Victoria Risk
> Product Manager
> Internet Systems Consortium

Re: [Kea-users] Experimental binary Kea1.6 packages posted

Kevin Olbrich
Hello Jason,

sorry, it's not working:

root@buildsrv01:~# apt-get install isc-kea-admin isc-kea-ctrl-agent
isc-kea-dhcp4-server isc-kea-dhcp6-server isc-kea-dhcp-ddns-server
python3-isc-kea-connector
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 isc-kea-admin : Depends: isc-kea-common (=
1.6.0-isc0025120190619100955) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libboost-system1.62.0 but it is not installable
 isc-kea-ctrl-agent : Depends: isc-kea-common (=
1.6.0-isc0025120190619100955) but it is not going to be installed
                      Depends: libboost-system1.62.0 but it is not installable
 isc-kea-dhcp-ddns-server : Depends: isc-kea-common (=
1.6.0-isc0025120190619100955) but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libboost-system1.62.0 but it is
not installable
 isc-kea-dhcp4-server : Depends: isc-kea-common (=
1.6.0-isc0025120190619100955) but it is not going to be installed
                        Depends: libboost-system1.62.0 but it is not installable
 isc-kea-dhcp6-server : Depends: isc-kea-common (=
1.6.0-isc0025120190619100955) but it is not going to be installed
                        Depends: libboost-system1.62.0 but it is not installable

Theres only:
https://packages.debian.org/buster/libboost-system1.67.0

That's the same problem as before, when I tried to mix buster with Sury's repo.

Kind regards
Kevin

Am Sa., 22. Juni 2019 um 14:43 Uhr schrieb Jason Guy <[hidden email]>:

> As far as I know, the same package should work with Buster, but I have not tried it yet.
>
> Jason
>
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 6:32 PM Kevin Olbrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Victoria,
>>
>> is it possible to also build buster? I am in the position to test
>> 1.6.0 but only with buster, not stable / stretch.
>> Buster is around the corner and there is no compatible version of Kea yet.
>>
>> I did a quick test with cloudsmith and it's missing buster.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Kevin
>>
>> Am Fr., 21. Juni 2019 um 22:33 Uhr schrieb Victoria Risk <[hidden email]>:
>> >
>> > Kea-users,
>> >
>> > We have just set up a repository with brand-new binary packages for the Kea 1.6 beta using a hosted repository service.
>> > The repository is at https://cloudsmith.io/~isc/repos/kea-1-6/
>> >
>> > Packages are available from ISC for:
>> > CentOS7
>> > Fedora 28 & 29
>> > Debian 9
>> > Ubuntu 18.10 & 19.04
>> >
>> > You should be able to install packages from there without any account or login. If you go to the site, and click on the link ’Set Me Up’ you will find explicit scripts for updating for each of those OSes listed above.
>> >
>> > Everything in this post is beta - the software is a beta version, we are testing the repo, and the packages are experimental.
>> > Please give it a try and let us know what your experience is. We cannot guarantee that we won’t change anything - this is why we are asking for feedback.  If any part of the experience is dissappointing or confusing or not what what you expect, I would like to hear about it.  If you like it, it wouldn’t hurt to hear that too.
>> >
>> > We are planning to maintain this repo and these packages going forward for new Kea releases, if all goes well.
>> >
>> > ISC Support customers: we are setting up a restricted-access repository for the premium subscriber hooks. You should look for an update in your ticket queue next week with instructions on how to access that repository for the non-open source components.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Vicky
>> > -------
>> >
>> > Victoria Risk
>> > Product Manager
>> > Internet Systems Consortium
>> > [hidden email]

Re: [Kea-users] Experimental binary Kea1.6 packages posted

Jason Guy
Hey Kevin.

It should be easy enough to test with the newer version of libboost-system in buster. If it works fine, we can change the dependency to be libboost-system (<= 1.67).

Hope it is that easy.
Jason

On Sun, Jun 23, 2019 at 9:44 AM Kevin Olbrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> > We are planning to maintain this repo and these packages going forward for new Kea releases, if all goes well.
>> >
>> > ISC Support customers: we are setting up a restricted-access repository for the premium subscriber hooks. You should look for an update in your ticket queue next week with instructions on how to access that repository for the non-open source components.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Vicky
>> > -------
>> >
>> > Victoria Risk
>> > Product Manager
>> > Internet Systems Consortium
>> > [hidden email]

Re: [Kea-users] Experimental binary Kea1.6 packages posted

Hi Kevin,

I can give it a try later this evening, I need to upgrade to Buster first.
If you want to try building the debs, you would have to setup a build environment, which requires quilt, and a bunch of dev packages.

Simply building from the source would work as well to verify the libboost compatibility. I am expecting it to work fine.

Jason

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 12:14 PM Kevin Olbrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jason,

Just to make sure: To test this, I need to compile Kea on my own right?

Kind regards,
Kevin Olbrich.

(mobil vom iPhone)

--
Diese E-Mail enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind und/oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.

On Jun 21, 2019, at 3:31 PM, Kevin Olbrich <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Victoria,

is it possible to also build buster? I am in the position to test
1.6.0 but only with buster, not stable / stretch.
Buster is around the corner and there is no compatible version of Kea yet.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, we will try to add Debian 10 to the list.

[...]

Michal Nowikowski
Hello,

I have just uploaded packages for Debian 10 (Buster) and Fedora 30.
They can be found at the same place: https://cloudsmith.io/~isc/repos/kea-1-6/

Regards,
Michal

Re: [Kea-users] Experimental binary Kea1.6 packages posted

Kevin Olbrich
Hi Michal,

thank you very much! I saw them yesterday (CEST) and will build new
images today.
These images will go into production for a large WiFi network
immediately, I will give feedback at end of the week.

Again, thank you and your team for helping me, getting our Buster
production image ready.

Kind regards
Kevin

Am Mi., 26. Juni 2019 um 09:11 Uhr schrieb Michal Nowikowski <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> I have just uploaded packages for Debian 10 (Buster) and Fedora 30.
> They can be found at the same place: https://cloudsmith.io/~isc/repos/kea-1-6/
>
> Regards,
> Michal
>
> ________________________________

Please, keep in mind that the packages are experimental.
I would not suggest to deploy them to production yet.

Regards,
Michal

thank you very much! I saw them yesterday (CEST) and will build new
images today.
These images will go into production for a large WiFi network
immediately, I will give feedback at end of the week.

Again, thank you and your team for helping me, getting our Buster
production image ready.

Kind regards
Kevin

Am Mi., 26. Juni 2019 um 09:11 Uhr schrieb Michal Nowikowski <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> I have just uploaded packages for Debian 10 (Buster) and Fedora 30.
> They can be found at the same place: https://cloudsmith.io/~isc/repos/kea-1-6/
>
> Regards,
> Michal
>
> ________________________________

that's not a problem, this network has been built for such tests. If
DHCP fails, another LB with Deb Stretch will keep up working but we
will get a warning.

Kind regards
Kevin

Am Mi., 26. Juni 2019 um 09:25 Uhr schrieb Michal Nowikowski <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> Please, keep in mind that the packages are experimental.
> I would not suggest to deploy them to production yet.
>
> Regards,
> Michal

My image build process succeeded
(https://bitbucket.org/code-orange/netstack-kea-vm).
I'm going to test it this evening and report back to you.

Thank you for providing the needed buster packages!

Kind regards
Kevin

Am Mi., 26. Juni 2019 um 09:32 Uhr schrieb Kevin Olbrich <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> that's not a problem, this network has been built for such tests. If
> DHCP fails, another LB with Deb Stretch will keep up working but we
> will get a warning.
>
> Kind regards
> Kevin
>
> Am Mi., 26. Juni 2019 um 09:25 Uhr schrieb Michal Nowikowski <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Please, keep in mind that the packages are experimental.
> > I would not suggest to deploy them to production yet.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Michal

What tool do you use for building VMs?
It seems interesting.

Regards,
Michal

I'm going to test it this evening and report back to you.

Thank you for providing the needed buster packages!

Kind regards
Kevin

Am Mi., 26. Juni 2019 um 09:32 Uhr schrieb Kevin Olbrich <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> that's not a problem, this network has been built for such tests. If
> DHCP fails, another LB with Deb Stretch will keep up working but we
> will get a warning.
>
> Kind regards
> Kevin
>
> Am Mi., 26. Juni 2019 um 09:25 Uhr schrieb Michal Nowikowski <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Please, keep in mind that the packages are experimental.
> > I would not suggest to deploy them to production yet.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Michal

I am using this:
https://github.com/andsens/bootstrap-vz

This piece of software can create images for a special composition of
software. I've got 41 different compilations atm, e.g. routers,
monitoring, elastic stack, OpenNebula, reverse proxy, etc.
It's also perfect for CI, either by using the VM or to debug the
package repository.

I am only using the KVM provider but it also builds VMs for GCE or AWS
including their toolset.
We even use it for a thinclient image that is rolled out to hundreds
of devices, real hardware, not VM.

My project also includes the configuration database client which helps
me during rollout (firstboot). This might be of no interest to you and
can be deleted after clone.

To build such an image, you just need a folder with the 3rd party repo
keys and the YML file which describes the image.

The purpose is an alternative to docker. Docker is fine for single
apps but no solution for routers, buildservers or even docker itself
(https://bitbucket.org/code-orange/appstack-docker-vm).
That's why I built a lot of real VMs instead of docker.

The project itself has been silent for some time until the maintainer
finally archived it. Thats no problem because I would describe it as
"feature complete". It is able to build buster, which is not even
released yet.
I just started a fork last night, to do soe optimizations when
necessary: https://github.com/kevin-olbrich/bootstrap-vz (currently I
only moved to elevator noop instead of cfq/deadline for KVM).

I have a library of these images. If I need to deploy a WiFi gateway
(Freifunk in Germany - https://freifunk.net/en/), I just use the
newest GuestGW-image (btw. this is one that uses Kea) and place it on
the hypervisor.
After a quick configuration using Virsh/Virt-manager and insertion of
the data into my CMDB, I just do a "cmdb-deploy reboot" and the system
is setup.

This allows me to roll back and forth using old images or disks. Also
I do not need to backup those VMs, just some folders and their data.
(Do I realy need to backup Kea's lease files? Nope.)
To migrate I just replaced stretch by buster and ran a rebuild on my
jenkins. For the compilations that work, this was a flawless upgrade
compared to the chaos by using APT.
That's also the point that had me wondering why buster completely lacks Kea.

The images are clean and small. In the mean, an image is about 2G in
size, fitting on nearly any media. They are also much faster than
manualy installed images (and I don't know why). A reboot of a GuestGW
takes about 5 seconds.

Kind regards
Kevin

Am Do., 27. Juni 2019 um 05:58 Uhr schrieb Michal Nowikowski <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> What tool do you use for building VMs?
> It seems interesting.
>
> Regards,
> Michal

Sounds pretty cool.
Thanks for all this information.

Regards,
Michal

> [...]

is setup.

This allows me to roll back and forth using old images or disks. Also
I do not need to backup those VMs, just some folders and their data.
(Do I realy need to backup Kea's lease files? Nope.)
To migrate I just replaced stretch by buster and ran a rebuild on my
jenkins. For the compilations that work, this was a flawless upgrade
compared to the chaos by using APT.
That's also the point that had me wondering why buster completely lacks Kea.

The images are clean and small. In the mean, an image is about 2G in
size, fitting on nearly any media. They are also much faster than
manualy installed images (and I don't know why). A reboot of a GuestGW
takes about 5 seconds.

Kind regards
Kevin

Hello Michal, hello list,

I've tested Kea 1.6 with Buster on a WiFi network gateway server and
it works pretty well!
So far there have been 900 active devices since monday.
DHCP lease works flawless.

The gateway has 8 communities (networks / interfaces), each with it's own scope.
Only DHCP options for router, DNS and NTP are in use.

I've no complex scenarios like hooks in use but a lot of different
devices that enter and leave the network.

So far, so good. Everything works as expected for me!

Kind regards
Kevin

Am Mi., 3. Juli 2019 um 09:49 Uhr schrieb Michal Nowikowski <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> And what is your experience with new ISC Kea packages?
> Does it work well on Debian Buster?
>
> Regards,
> Michal

Thanks much for the feedback :)