[Kea-users] Hook library .so file location after install

[Kea-users] Hook library .so file location after install

Gokulakrishnan Gopalakrishnan
I'm trying to install kea to a custom dir via ./configure --prefix=/opt/kea
After doing make and make install, I'm not seeing libdhcp_user_chk.so (hook library) at /opt/kea/lib.

I noticed libkea-hooks.so is present at /opt/kea/lib. is this equivalent of the user_chk lib? If not, what is the way to get the user_chk lib copied to /opt/kea/lib automatically?

Thanks,

Gokul

Re: [Kea-users] Hook library .so file location after install

Francis Dupont
Gokulakrishnan Gopalakrishnan writes:
> I'm trying to install kea to a custom dir via ./configure --prefix=/opt/kea
> After doing make and make install, I'm not seeing libdhcp_user_chk.so (hook
> library) at /opt/kea/lib.

=> where did "make install" put it? (note you can launch make install twice
without problem)?

> I noticed libkea-hooks.so is present at /opt/kea/lib. is this equivalent of
> the user_chk lib?

=> no, libkea-hooks.so is the hooks library (src/lib/hooks).

> If not, what is the way to get the user_chk lib copied to
> /opt/kea/lib automatically?

=> "make install" should install it somewhere. I launch a distcheck
to see what happens...

PS: in src/hooks/dhcp/user_chk/Makefile.am the libdhcp_user_chk.la entry
is in noinst_LTLIBRARIES so it is possible that by default the library
is not installed?

Re: [Kea-users] Hook library .so file location after install

Gokulakrishnan Gopalakrishnan
Even I think because of having noinst_LTLIBRARIES in Makefile.in is making the lib not installed

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 10:19 PM, Francis Dupont <[hidden email]> wrote:
Gokulakrishnan Gopalakrishnan writes:
> I'm trying to install kea to a custom dir via ./configure --prefix=/opt/kea
> After doing make and make install, I'm not seeing libdhcp_user_chk.so (hook
> library) at /opt/kea/lib.

=> where did "make install" put it? (note you can launch make install twice
without problem)?

> I noticed libkea-hooks.so is present at /opt/kea/lib. is this equivalent of
> the user_chk lib?

=> no, libkea-hooks.so is the hooks library (src/lib/hooks).

> If not, what is the way to get the user_chk lib copied to
> /opt/kea/lib automatically?

=> "make install" should install it somewhere. I launch a distcheck
to see what happens...

PS: in src/hooks/dhcp/user_chk/Makefile.am the libdhcp_user_chk.la entry
is in noinst_LTLIBRARIES so it is possible that by default the library
is not installed?

Re: [Kea-users] Hook library .so file location after install

Francis Dupont
Gokulakrishnan Gopalakrishnan writes:
> Even I think because of having noinst_LTLIBRARIES in Makefile.in is making
> the lib not installed

=> I can confirm: my "make distcheck" did nothing on "make install" and
"make uninstall". I think you have to change the Makefile or to install
the library manually (first option is more complex but it should make
things right).

Re: [Kea-users] Hook library .so file location after install

Thomas Markwalder
On 6/27/17 4:40 PM, Francis Dupont wrote:

> Gokulakrishnan Gopalakrishnan writes:
>> Even I think because of having noinst_LTLIBRARIES in Makefile.in is making
>> the lib not installed
> => I can confirm: my "make distcheck" did nothing on "make install" and
> "make uninstall". I think you have to change the Makefile or to install
> the library manually (first option is more complex but it should make
> things right).
>
> Regards
>
> Francis Dupont <[hidden email]>

Hello:

We deliberately do not install this library as it is primarily an
example hook library intended as a learning tool and not likely to be
something admins want in a production  installation.

Regards,

Thomas Markwalder

ISC Software Engineering

Re: [Kea-users] user_chk not installed

Tomek Mrugalski
W dniu 28.06.2017 o 12:43, Thomas Markwalder pisze:
> We deliberately do not install this library as it is primarily an
> example hook library intended as a learning tool and not likely to be
> something admins want in a production  installation.
Perhaps it's useful to explain why we made this decision. user_chk is an
example library that showcases how one could use hooks interface. It was
written with simplicity and clarity in mind, not performance.

In particular, every time a new packet comes in, the library re-reads
and parses the known users file. This is nice when you want to
demonstrate how hooks are working, but it's rather poor from performance
perspective. The more packets per second you get and more entries you
have in a file, the worse performance you'll get.

If this library were installed by default, the difference between
educational example and production ready library could be lost and
people would complain that Kea performs poorly.

Regards,
Tomek Mrugalski