[Kea-users] ISC Kea missing from Debian Buster

[Kea-users] ISC Kea missing from Debian Buster

Kevin Olbrich
Hi!

Kea is in Stretch and Sid but missing from Buster.
Sury's repo also does only provide builds for stretch and jessie.

The last time we talked about the packaging process, work was in progress.
Are there any news? The freeze time is over and I looks like, we might not get a stable Kea into Buster(?).

Kind regards
Kevin

Re: [Kea-users] ISC Kea missing from Debian Buster

Jason Guy
The current 1.5 builds properly, and works in Stretch, and should work fine for buster. I just pushed another very minor fix recently.
I do not have the power to push the package into any of the repos (I need my GPG key signed) . However, I know Ondrej can do that.

Jason

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 4:47 AM Kevin Olbrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

Kea is in Stretch and Sid but missing from Buster.
Sury's repo also does only provide builds for stretch and jessie.

The last time we talked about the packaging process, work was in progress.
Are there any news? The freeze time is over and I looks like, we might not get a stable Kea into Buster(?).

Kind regards
Kevin

Re: [Kea-users] ISC Kea missing from Debian Buster

Michal Nowikowski
Hello,

We (ISC) plan to provide RPM and DEB packages for various systems.
We would like to start offering these package 4 weeks after Kea 1.6 beta,
this is end of June. Still we want to have Kea also present in distros.
This is extra way for getting Kea, and also latest Kea.

If you are interested in testing these packages let me know.
I will let you know when they are available and point you
to some instructions.

Regards,
Michal

Re: [Kea-users] ISC Kea missing from Debian Buster

Kevin Olbrich
Hi!

This sounds good to me. Indeed I would like to test them.
I've got a lot of virtual routers in different places (400x) that ship with Kea from Sury's repo using stretch.
As the next rollout gets closer, I already switched to Buster (which should also become stable soon).

Currently I use this to build some test VMs:
(Feel free to use everyone - does not build currently).

As you can see, I tried to mix the dependencies which obviously did not work.

I might have to say that my requirements are rather low on DHCP configuration. Most of my setups use the MySQL integration, PXE, etc. - I am unfamiliar with classes.
On the other hand, my setups are rather "large" scale (up to 4.000 users / leases per instance).

If the test releases are available through a repository like Sury's, I am happy with that. I will then build images and try them using some real traffic (large public wifi mesh network - all kinds of devices - lot of randomness).

Kind regards
Kevin

Am Fr., 24. Mai 2019 um 11:57 Uhr schrieb Michal Nowikowski <[hidden email]>:
Hello,

We (ISC) plan to provide RPM and DEB packages for various systems.
We would like to start offering these package 4 weeks after Kea 1.6 beta,
this is end of June. Still we want to have Kea also present in distros.
This is extra way for getting Kea, and also latest Kea.

If you are interested in testing these packages let me know.
I will let you know when they are available and point you
to some instructions.

Regards,
Michal

Re: [Kea-users] ISC Kea missing from Debian Buster

Kevin Olbrich
If you want to spin up a test vm, you can strip out all unnecessary packages from my YAML:

cat trusted-ssh-keys/id_*.pub >> project/authorized_keys
cd project
cp -r bootstrap-files-vm/copy-to-filesystem/* copy-to-filesystem/
cp -r cdstack-cmdb-deploy/files/* copy-to-filesystem/
sh bootstrap-files-vm/build_vz_img.sh

You can also skip the "copy-to-filesystem" and CMDB parts.

This way, you can spin up a reusable VM image in under 10 mins. I use this a lot to check clean installs.

Maybe this is usefull for you or the ML.

Kind regards
Kevin

Am Sa., 25. Mai 2019 um 12:35 Uhr schrieb Francis Dupont <[hidden email]>:
I take this message as an indication than it is time to test debian 10,
i.e. for me to create a debian 10 VM and check the installation of
various ISC softwares e..g Kea with all three database backends, etc.

Re: [Kea-users] ISC Kea missing from Debian Buster

Kevin Olbrich
Hi list,

is there any news about this?

@Ondřej Surý
Thank you for building recent releases for stretch! <3 Would you be so
kind to build them also for buster?
https://packages.sury.org/kea/dists/

Your repository gives a lot of users the flexibility to cherry-pick
recent releases where necessary.
The images I build are currently blocked by the missing Kea packages
in buster from official repos.