[Kea-users] KEA dhcp and BIND with ddns

Thomas Andersen

Hi,

We are already live with kea DHCP and have always used BIND for dns.

Is it possible to use DDNS to make client host names resolve in BIND dns?

--

Med venlig hilsen / With best regards

Thomas Andersen

Network Architect

IT University of Copenhagen

Rued Langgaards Vej 7

2300 København S

Phone: +45 72185249

**NEVER DISCLOSE YOUR PASSWORD OR SHOE SIZE - NOT EVEN TO YOUR DENTIST**

Re: [Kea-users] KEA dhcp and BIND with ddns

Tomek Mrugalski
On 04.12.2018 11:31, Thomas Andersen wrote:
> We are already live with kea DHCP and have always used BIND for dns.
Great!

> Is it possible to use DDNS to make client host names resolve in BIND dns?
Sure. You need to do start dhcp-ddns daemon (often nicknamed d2) and
tweak couple knobs in DHCP server to actually send name change requests
to that deamon. It will then send DNS updates to your DNS server, be it
BIND or any other RFC2136 compliant server.

See Sections 8.2.16 (DDNS for DHCPv4), 9.2.21 (DDNS for DHCPv6) and 12
(DHCP-DDNS server):
https://jenkins.isc.org/job/Kea_doc/guide/kea-guide.html#dhcp-ddns-server

Hope that helps,
Tomek

Re: [Kea-users] KEA dhcp and BIND with ddns

Thomas Markwalder
Hello Thomas:

Kea provides a separate process, kea-dhcp-ddns, for updating DNS. Please see this chapter in our Admin guide:

https://jenkins.isc.org/job/Kea_doc/guide/kea-guide.html#dhcp-ddns-server

On configuring it, and the following for configuring kea-dhcp4/kea-dhcp6 to work with it:

https://jenkins.isc.org/job/Kea_doc/guide/kea-guide.html#dhcp4-ddns-config

https://jenkins.isc.org/job/Kea_doc/guide/kea-guide.html#dhcp6-ddns-config

Regards,

Thomas Markwalder