[Kea-users] Kea 1.4 crash from time to time

[Kea-users] Kea 1.4 crash from time to time

Batuhan Bakıp

>DHCP4_CONFIG_LOAD_FAIL configuration error using file:

>/usr/local/etc/kea/kea-dhcp4.conf, reason: bind: Address already in use

>DHCP4_INIT_FAIL failed to initialize Kea server: configuration error using

>file '/usr/local/etc/kea/kea-dhcp4.conf': bind: Address already in use

If you change configuration for used IP and then restart service, you can get this error message. For example, you have reservation that used IP then you change the hw-address of the reservation and restart service.

Re: [Kea-users] Kea 1.4 crash from time to time

Francis Dupont
First the term crash is not the right one as it failed to start (exactly
to load the configuration), it does not exit on segmentation fault & co.
Second if there is another application using the port it cannot serve it.
It is not specific to Kea servers but to any server application.
I recommend in the case the port is supposed to be free to find which
process is bound to it with for instance lsof.

Re: [Kea-users] Kea 1.4 crash from time to time

Pietsch Michael
I got the same error when dhcp4 and dhcp6 server use the same unix control
socket:
https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/issues/262

Regards

Michael Pietsch

smime.p7s (8K) Download Attachment

Re: [Kea-users] Kea 1.4 crash from time to time

RafaRC

Hi,

maby crash is not proper therm, but dhcp stopping to work. If it works, I think other service sholud have problem to start, not turning off dhcp.

There is no other service on this server, ports and addreses are free. I'm not changing anything.

There is ony kea-dhcp4 and Control Agent, kea-dhcp46 is inactive.

I was trying to use monit to restart

W dniu 2018-11-12 o 14:36, Pietsch Michael pisze:
I got the same error when dhcp4 and dhcp6 server use the same unix control
socket:
https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/issues/262

Regards

Michael Pietsch

First the term crash is not the right one as it failed to start (exactly to
load the configuration), it does not exit on segmentation fault & co.
Second if there is another application using the port it cannot serve it.
It is not specific to Kea servers but to any server application.
I recommend in the case the port is supposed to be free to find which
process is bound to it with for instance lsof.

Regards

Francis Dupont [hidden email]

Re: [Kea-users] Kea 1.4 crash from time to time

Francis Dupont
According to man 2 bind you can get:
 - EACCES: for Kea it means you forget to run it as root
 - EADDRINUSE: there is another DHCP agent running (not the same Kea server
  because in this case you get an error about the PID first)
 - EADDRNOTAVAIL: an address in the Kea configuration was not configured
  on the machine
 - EAFNOSUPPORT: only with DHCPv6: the kernel was not configured with IPv6
The last two are unlikely but possible.
BTW for EADDRINUSE the problem is reported by the kernel.

There are extra possible errors with local (aka UNIX) domain, in Kea
it is used for the control socket:
 - EEXIST: the file already exists (remove it: usually Kea removes it
  at exit but not when it crashes)
 - EISDIR: the path is a directory (fix the config)
 - ELOOP: the path has a link loop (remove the looping link, usually a link
  pointing to itself)
 - ENAMETOOLONG: the path is too long (max length is system dependent but
  more than 100 characters)
 - ENOENT: something does not exist in the path (create it)
 - ENOTDIR: something in the middle of the path is not a directory
 - EROFS: the path is in a read-only file system
IMHO you should only get the first one which is easy to fix. When you use
a tool to launch Kea you should configure the tool to remove local domain
socket files.

About #262 it is a trivial typo in the example which will be fixed as
soon as the Kea master branch code will be unfrozen.