[Kea-users] Kea 1.6 Configuration Backend

[Kea-users] Kea 1.6 Configuration Backend

Marc Boisis

Where can I find where to put dhcp4 parameters in mysql configuration backend ? (which table ? values...).

Re: [Kea-users] Kea 1.6 Configuration Backend

Klaus Steden

You want something like this:

{

  "Dhcp4":

  {

# Use MySQL lease database backend to store leases in a database.

  "lease-database": {

    "type": "mysql",

    "host": "__MYSQL_HOST__",

    "name": "__MYSQL_DB__",

    "user": "__MYSQL_USER__",

    "password": "__MYSQL_PASSWORD__"

  },

# Use MySQL hosts database backend to store reservations in a database.

  "hosts-database": {

    "type": "mysql",

    "host": "__MYSQL_HOST__",

    "name": "__MYSQL_DB__",

    "user": "__MYSQL_USER__",

    "password": "__MYSQL_PASSWORD__"

  },

  }

}

where the tokens are whatever your SQL credential/database parameters are.

hth,
Klaus

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 3:39 AM Marc Boisis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Where can I find where to put dhcp4 parameters in mysql configuration backend ? (which table ? values...).

Re: [Kea-users] Kea 1.6 Configuration Backend

Marc Boisis
No in 1.6 we can declare subnet and global parameters in MYSQL : https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/v1_6_0/arm/config.html?highlight=workbench#kea-configuration-backend

But there is no doc like "INSERT new-subnet INTO ...

On 5 Sep 2019, at 05:02, Klaus Steden <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Cristian Lemnaru

Yes, a tutorial about this would be greatly appreciated.

CB sound delicious, but without data on how to populate the tables, ( and which tables ) , it's like  a beautiful car and no keys to it .

Cris

On 9/5/19 8:57 AM, Marc Boisis wrote:
[...]

GPON Engineer
RCS & RDS - Brasov Branch
Mobil : 0770056815
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message(or responsible
for delivery of the message to such person),you may not copy or deliver
this message to anyone. In such a case, you should destroy this message
and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail.

Re: [Kea-users] Kea 1.6 Configuration Backend

Thomas Markwalder
Hello:

The Configuration Backend is a Kea Support Subscriber-level hook library which provides RESTful commands for managing the configuration elements.  It is described in the Administration Reference Manual here:

https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/v1_6_0/arm/hooks.html#cb-cmds-configuration-backend-commands

We do not recommend (nor support) people directly manipulating the data in the our schema. The CB library provides application logic to make sure things stay sane and isolates users from future schema changes.

For more information on Kea support subscriptions, start here:

https://www.isc.org/kea/

Cheers,

Thomas Markwalder

On 9/5/19 4:41 AM, Cristian Lemnaru wrote:

[...]

vicky risk
Administrator
The schema for the configuration backend is documented in the code, here: https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/blob/master/src/share/database/scripts/mysql/dhcpdb_create.mysql  We also have some related design documents in our public Gitlab - https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/wikis/designs/configuration-in-db-design

So, a do-it-yourselfer can certainly populate the tables directly or develop their own system for modifying the tables. This is not recommended because, as Thomas pointed out, it is easy to screw things up directly modifying the database.  But, the feature enabling the configuration backend is open source, and you are welcome to modify the open source however you like for your deployment.

Vicky

Victoria Risk
Product Manager
Internet Systems Consortium