[Kea-users] MySQL DB does not work when "lease-database" is set

[Kea-users] MySQL DB does not work when "lease-database" is set

Kevin Olbrich
Hi,

I set the following as my lease-db:

  "lease-database": {
    "type": "mysql",
    "name": "dc_dhcp",
    "host": "192.168.30.2",
    "user": "dc_dhcp",
    "password": "xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
#        "type": "memfile",
#        "persist": true,
#        "name": "/tmp/kea-leases4.csv",
#        "lfc-interval": 1800
  },

If I use MySQL, no lease is ever created. The server also never answers any DHCP request.

Changing from mysql to memfile (commented out code above), everything works fine.
No error is logged, "it just dont work" with mysql.

root@dhcp01:~# kea-dhcp4 -v
1.1.0

Debian Stretch, main repo.

Is this a known issue?

Kind regards,
Kevin

Re: [Kea-users] MySQL DB does not work when "lease-database" is set

Francis Dupont
Kevin Olbrich writes:
> If I use MySQL, no lease is ever created. The server also never answers any
> DHCP request.
>
> Changing from mysql to memfile (commented out code above), everything works
> fine.
> No error is logged, "it just dont work" with mysql.

=> I am afraid MySQL does not work at all in your setup and its very long
default timeout hides that. There were recent works to improve this
(better timeouts, reconnect, etc) so I leave my colleagues who worked
on it to give better answers.

Re: [Kea-users] MySQL DB does not work when "lease-database" is set

Thomas Markwalder
Hello Kevin:

Kea is now up to version 1.3.0 with many new features added since 1.1.0 so you may wish to consider upgrading.  However, Kea 1.1.0 should function using MySQL for lease storage.  Kea servers can emit a great deal of logging detail, provided you have it enabled.   With sufficient logging enabled, you should see some sort of response from Kea to client packets.  Even if Kea elects to drop a packet, you should still it's arrival logged and an explanation for why it was dropped.

I would suggest, as a starting point that you dial up the logging detail.  The following logger configuration will give you maximum output to stdout (for more information on logging please see the Logging chapter in the Kea Admin guide):

"Logging":
{
  "loggers": [
    {
      "name": "kea-dhcp4",
      "output_options": [
          {
            "output": "stdout"
          }
      ],
      "severity": "INFO",
      "debuglevel":99
    }
  ]
}

I have attached a log excerpt from a Kea 1.1.0 server I configured to use MySQL lease storage so you can see what to expect.

Regards,

Thomas Markwalder
ISC Software Engineering

On 03/18/2018 06:02 PM, Kevin Olbrich wrote:
[...]

kea-dhcp4.log (6K) Download Attachment

Re: [Kea-users] MySQL DB does not work when "lease-database" is set

Jason Guy
Hi Kevin,

What version of mysql are you using? I have no problems with mysql 5.7 (client and server). Also, have you initialized the database?

Finally, I assume you are using version 1.1 because that it the only version available on Debian Apt... I am still trying to have the maintainer take more of my patches, and push the 1.3 packages to the testing repo, but it is not going well. If anyone knows the maintainer for this package, or has any advice about how to get more traction with the debian maintainer, I would be grateful. I have done a lot of work to patch the 1.1 package to become the 1.3 package, and I am using in my testing. But I would like to make this available to all. :)

Cheers,
Jason

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 9:22 AM, Thomas Markwalder <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Package version on debian is still 1.1.0 on all branches.
I sent an email to the maintainer as 1.3.0 is the recommended release and 1.1.0 is some kind of "please do not use this anymore"-release.

PS: I am on MariaDB 10.2 on both server and client. This might be the problem. I did not fix the problem yet as all leases are static. I will look into this the coming weeks.

Kind regards
Kevin

[...]

Tomek Mrugalski
When talking to the Debian maintainer, you may also mention that 1.4.0
is around the corner. Unless we hit something very unexpected, it should
be released this Friday.

Tomek

On 13/06/2018 16:32, Kevin Olbrich wrote:

> [...]
>>             "name": "dc_dhcp",
>>             "host": "192.168.30.2",
>>             "user": "dc_dhcp",
>>             "password": "xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
>>         #        "type": "memfile",
>>         #        "persist": true,
>>         #        "name": "/tmp/kea-leases4.csv",
>>         #        "lfc-interval": 1800
>>           },
>>
>>         If I use MySQL, no lease is ever created. The server also
>>         never answers any DHCP request.
>>
>>         Changing from mysql to memfile (commented out code above),
>>         everything works fine.
>>         No error is logged, "it just dont work" with mysql.
>>
>>         root@dhcp01:~# kea-dhcp4 -v
>>         1.1.0
>>
>>         Debian Stretch, main repo.
>>
>>         Is this a known issue?
>>
>>         Kind regards,
>>         Kevin

Re: [Kea-users] MySQL DB does not work when "lease-database" is set

Hi Tomek,

The debian maintainer (Adam) is not responsive. I packaged 1.3.0, and nagged him for 6 months to update the repo. He finally did in January, but he has not integrated any of my fixes for 1.3.0 since January. I have been running my 1.3.0 package in production for 6 months, and asked him repeatedly to give me the permissions to update the repo, and push the packages to stable. I am not sure what I can do... he does not seem to be taking this seriously. What is the next step?

I will be starting the packaging of 1.4.0 next week.

Cheers,
Jason

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 11:15 AM, Tomek Mrugalski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>             "name": "dc_dhcp",
>>             "host": "192.168.30.2",
>>             "user": "dc_dhcp",
>>             "password": "xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
>>         #        "type": "memfile",
>>         #        "persist": true,
>>         #        "name": "/tmp/kea-leases4.csv",
>>         #        "lfc-interval": 1800
>>           },
>>
>>         If I use MySQL, no lease is ever created. The server also
>>         never answers any DHCP request.
>>
>>         Changing from mysql to memfile (commented out code above),
>>         everything works fine.
>>         No error is logged, "it just dont work" with mysql.
>>
>>         root@dhcp01:~# kea-dhcp4 -v
>>         1.1.0
>>
>>         Debian Stretch, main repo.
>>
>>         Is this a known issue?
>>
>>         Kind regards,
>>         Kevin

Re: [Kea-users] MySQL DB does not work when "lease-database" is set

Debian lists [hidden email] as a contact for "work needing packages".

Kevin

> [...]

>>             "name": "dc_dhcp",
>>             "host": "192.168.30.2",
>>             "user": "dc_dhcp",
>>             "password": "xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
>>         #        "type": "memfile",
>>         #        "persist": true,
>>         #        "name": "/tmp/kea-leases4.csv",
>>         #        "lfc-interval": 1800
>>           },
>>
>>         If I use MySQL, no lease is ever created. The server also
>>         never answers any DHCP request.
>>
>>         Changing from mysql to memfile (commented out code above),
>>         everything works fine.
>>         No error is logged, "it just dont work" with mysql.
>>
>>         root@dhcp01:~# kea-dhcp4 -v
>>         1.1.0
>>
>>         Debian Stretch, main repo.
>>
>>         Is this a known issue?
>>
>>         Kind regards,
>>         Kevin

Re: [Kea-users] MySQL DB does not work when "lease-database" is set

https://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/#howto-o

Kevin

> [...]

>>             "name": "dc_dhcp",
>>             "host": "192.168.30.2",
>>             "user": "dc_dhcp",
>>             "password": "xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
>>         #        "type": "memfile",
>>         #        "persist": true,
>>         #        "name": "/tmp/kea-leases4.csv",
>>         #        "lfc-interval": 1800
>>           },
>>
>>         If I use MySQL, no lease is ever created. The server also
>>         never answers any DHCP request.
>>
>>         Changing from mysql to memfile (commented out code above),
>>         everything works fine.
>>         No error is logged, "it just dont work" with mysql.
>>
>>         root@dhcp01:~# kea-dhcp4 -v
>>         1.1.0
>>
>>         Debian Stretch, main repo.
>>
>>         Is this a known issue?
>>
>>         Kind regards,
>>         Kevin

Re: [Kea-users] MySQL DB does not work when "lease-database" is set

I can try the official channels again, but I am not sure the debian maintainers will help me to take over the package. Adam is really good and did all of the initial work, but seems to be too busy to care about this.

Tomek,

Do you know the current maintainer, or would you support me taking over the maintenance of the Debian package? I just want to satisfy the demand, and try to make these available to the Debian community.

Thanks,
Jason

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 7:13 AM, Kevin Olbrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>             "name": "dc_dhcp",
>>             "host": "192.168.30.2",
>>             "user": "dc_dhcp",
>>             "password": "xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
>>         #        "type": "memfile",
>>         #        "persist": true,
>>         #        "name": "/tmp/kea-leases4.csv",
>>         #        "lfc-interval": 1800
>>           },
>>
>>         If I use MySQL, no lease is ever created. The server also
>>         never answers any DHCP request.
>>
>>         Changing from mysql to memfile (commented out code above),
>>         everything works fine.
>>         No error is logged, "it just dont work" with mysql.
>>
>>         root@dhcp01:~# kea-dhcp4 -v
>>         1.1.0
>>
>>         Debian Stretch, main repo.
>>
>>         Is this a known issue?
>>
>>         Kind regards,
>>         Kevin

Re: [Kea-users] MySQL DB does not work when "lease-database" is set

I have now filed "Orphaned"-requests to the debian bugtracker to trigger discussion on the packaging mailing list.

> [...]

>>             "name": "dc_dhcp",
>>             "host": "192.168.30.2",
>>             "user": "dc_dhcp",
>>             "password": "xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
>>         #        "type": "memfile",
>>         #        "persist": true,
>>         #        "name": "/tmp/kea-leases4.csv",
>>         #        "lfc-interval": 1800
>>           },
>>
>>         If I use MySQL, no lease is ever created. The server also
>>         never answers any DHCP request.
>>
>>         Changing from mysql to memfile (commented out code above),
>>         everything works fine.
>>         No error is logged, "it just dont work" with mysql.
>>
>>         root@dhcp01:~# kea-dhcp4 -v
>>         1.1.0
>>
>>         Debian Stretch, main repo.
>>
>>         Is this a known issue?
>>
>>         Kind regards,
>>         Kevin

Re: [Kea-users] MySQL DB does not work when "lease-database" is set

I had done the same a couple months ago, and even copied the current maintainer. I was told that there are a bit of politics in the debian development community. I just want a place to put the debs, and allow users to get them via apt.

If you are interested in getting the 1.4.0 Debian packages, I have made the binary debs available on a Box share:
I also migrated the Debian project to GitLab here: https://salsa.debian.org/jasonguy-guest/isc-kea

Let me know if there are any issues. I will not be able to test them until next weekend at the earliest.
I have to do a lot of reading/thinking about the HA functionality, which I have been waiting for and now I can use it.

One thing to note, I did not compile in the Cassandra functionality, because I am not familiar with it. I think it would require a few more libraries, but last time I looked it was not as straight forward as mysql or postgres. I need to find out exactly what dependencies need to be loaded. If anyone knows exactly what is needed, let me know.

Cheers,
Jason

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 6:49 AM Kevin Olbrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>             "name": "dc_dhcp",
>>             "host": "192.168.30.2",
>>             "user": "dc_dhcp",
>>             "password": "xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
>>         #        "type": "memfile",
>>         #        "persist": true,
>>         #        "name": "/tmp/kea-leases4.csv",
>>         #        "lfc-interval": 1800
>>           },
>>
>>         If I use MySQL, no lease is ever created. The server also
>>         never answers any DHCP request.
>>
>>         Changing from mysql to memfile (commented out code above),
>>         everything works fine.
>>         No error is logged, "it just dont work" with mysql.
>>
>>         root@dhcp01:~# kea-dhcp4 -v
>>         1.1.0
>>
>>         Debian Stretch, main repo.
>>
>>         Is this a known issue?
>>
>>         Kind regards,
>>         Kevin

Re: [Kea-users] MySQL DB does not work when "lease-database" is set

Hi all,

the Debian team has finally changed the owner:

1.4.0 is finally in sid:

You might contact the new owners of the packages to merge your efforts?