[Kea-users] Option 43 - Vendor-encapsulated-options

[Kea-users] Option 43 - Vendor-encapsulated-options

Duane Wylie

In the process of testing Kea for our environment, I have uncovered a peculiar use-case.  We have a particular vendor whose gear requires option 43 to contain a string.

In our ISC DHCP server, we do this with (hex for the string "SWRD"):

option vendor-encapsulated-options 53:57:52:44;

which shows up in a tcpdump as (decimal for the string "SWRD"):

   Vendor-Option Option 43, length 4: 83.87.82.68

I'm trying to find out to accomplish this with Kea.  Option 43 is already defined as type 'empty', and I can't override this in the kea.conf file.  I haven't tried to implement this as a sub-option, as it would prepend the string with a code and length.  Any ideas how I could make this work?  Could I conceivably override the option in a hook?  Or would I still face the same restrictions with overriding the option type?

Duane Wylie

Re: [Kea-users] Option 43 - Vendor-encapsulated-options

Francis Dupont
> In the process of testing Kea for our environment, I have uncovered a
> peculiar use-case.  We have a particular vendor whose gear requires
> option 43 to contain a string.

=> currently Kea supports only encapuslated space in option 43.
This is a known defect but unfortunately not easy to fix.
BTW if you can send to us all details to help in the solution definition?

PS: the only round-around is to define in src/lib/dhcp/std_option_defs.h
the option 43 to binary without encapsulated space and to rebuild Kea.