[Kea-users] PostgreSQL Logging

Asghar Hussain
Hello,

For KEA server version 1.6.2, can you please advise if its possible to have log entries sent to a PostgreSQL server.

Regards,

-Asghar

Re: [Kea-users] PostgreSQL Logging

Francis Dupont
Asghar Hussain writes:
> For KEA server version 1.6.2, can you please advise if its possible to have
> log entries sent to a PostgreSQL server.

=> in Kea there are two things named logging so I'll answer for both:
 - for forensic/legal logging: yes PostgreSQL is supported

 - for the system logging: they are sent to standard output or error,
  to a file or to syslog. According to its documentation rsyslogd
  is able to send logs to a database including a PostgreSQL one
  (I never used this but perhaps someone in the list did/does?)

Re: [Kea-users] PostgreSQL Logging

Asghar Hussain
Francis,

Thanks for the reply. To be specific, can the DHCP log entries (including information and errors) that are populated in /usr/local/var/log/kea-dhcp4.log be sent to PostGRE (or another DB)?

-Asghar

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 4:57 PM Francis Dupont <[hidden email]> wrote:
Asghar Hussain writes:
> For KEA server version 1.6.2, can you please advise if its possible to have
> log entries sent to a PostgreSQL server.

=> in Kea there are two things named logging so I'll answer for both:
 - for forensic/legal logging: yes PostgreSQL is supported

 - for the system logging: they are sent to standard output or error,
  to a file or to syslog. According to its documentation rsyslogd
  is able to send logs to a database including a PostgreSQL one
  (I never used this but perhaps someone in the list did/does?)

Re: [Kea-users] PostgreSQL Logging

Joshua Schaeffer

On 6/3/20 9:27 AM, Asghar Hussain wrote:
Francis,

Thanks for the reply. To be specific, can the DHCP log entries (including information and errors) that are populated in /usr/local/var/log/kea-dhcp4.log be sent to PostGRE (or another DB)?
Yes, but this is completely outside the purview of Kea. Kea simply sends the logs through the rsyslog facility. It is rsyslog that can interface with a PostgreSQL database (as Francis pointed out). You have to configure rsyslog to send the logs the pgsql, you wouldn't change any kea configurations.

As far as any other database support that too is completely dependent on rsyslog's support.

Joshua Schaeffer

Re: [Kea-users] PostgreSQL Logging

Asghar Hussain
Joshua/Francis,

Thanks for the confirmation and explanation. I will try this out with rsyslogd. Error correlation is very important for me.

-Asghar