[Kea-users] Server deployments

Thomas Andersen

Hi,

I’m a bit unsure how to obtain this and even more how to configure.

So a few pointers would be appreciated.

I have made a new subnet for servers. I’d like to use DHCP on this network as people never clean up after themselves when taking down servers, and also to ease deployment and configuration.

But how do I get around the lease time and add the server to host reservations automatically.

I don’t really care which IP the server get, as long as it’s static. The logic view for me is to copy a lease from the lease db to the host reservation db after first lease.

I hope you understand what I’m trying explain.

--

Med venlig hilsen / With best regards

Thomas Andersen

Re: [Kea-users] Server deployments

Klaus Steden

We have a similar concern with our data centers and ended up rolling our own app that handles this problem.

Basically, if you use a database backend, you can use the database API (in our case, MySQL) to create/remove reservations and manage leases (although generally we don't do this all that often).

AFAIK this is not the best practice recommended by the Kea engineering team as there are hooks that can be exposed in the application to perform CRUD operations on leases and reservations, but at the very least, I think that you should definitely use a database backend to make managing this problem easier, regardless of how you end up doing so.

hth,
Klaus