[Kea-users] Still unsupported / ancient 1.1.0 in Debian stretch

[Kea-users] Still unsupported / ancient 1.1.0 in Debian stretch

Kevin Olbrich
Hi!

I know we had this talk several times in the past (including myself):
Debian repos still serve Kea 1.1.0 by default on stretch.

As the 1.1.0 release is unsupported by the devs (at least they said
so), this needs to change.
I know buster has 1.4.0 in repos and there are also newer releases in
stretch-backports.

A lot of projects had these problems with Debians style of packaging
(which itself is perfectly fine, I like it most of the time).
Debians guideline says, that a release should not be modified by
packages that break existing installations (for example removing
support for specific setups).

At least for my Kea setups, that has never been the case. I started
with 1.1.0 and upgraded to 1.4.0 without any problem (it fixed more
problems than creating new ones).

If Debian devs like to keep such ancient versions in it's repo instead
of providing one that is supported by the devs, would it be possible
to have an official repo?
PowerDNS has the same: They provide their own binaries while it's
still possible to choose the one, that the distribution forces you to
use.

While this should be fixed, Sury seems to have taken things in his
hand and provides unofficial builds in a public repository:
https://packages.sury.org/kea/pool/main/i/isc-kea/

He also provides all sorts of PHP builds for which he is famous.

I would realy like to see an official repo or recent builds of Kea in
the distribution tree.

Feedback is welcome!

Kind regards
Kevin

Re: [Kea-users] Still unsupported / ancient 1.1.0 in Debian stretch

vicky risk
Administrator
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for this post.

On Jan 23, 2019, at 7:40 AM, Kevin Olbrich <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi!

I know we had this talk several times in the past (including myself):
Debian repos still serve Kea 1.1.0 by default on stretch.
……

While this should be fixed, Sury seems to have taken things in his
hand and provides unofficial builds in a public repository:
https://packages.sury.org/kea/pool/main/i/isc-kea/

He also provides all sorts of PHP builds for which he is famous.

I would realy like to see an official repo or recent builds of Kea in
the distribution tree.

We are aware of the problem. We do need to figure out a way to make Kea easier to install for our users. it is on our list to produce some official binaries with our next release.
Ondřej Surý, our DNS development team lead, is an experienced packager and he did produce an experimental Kea package as you have seen, but the Kea team hasn’t been able to validate it or take it over so we are not recommending it yet.

The issue with Kea packaging is, of course, all the dependencies we have on other open source projects (Boost, log4C+, sysrepo, etc). In some cases the versions we are dependent on are ALSO not available in current packages from the OS packagers.

We did, with Kea 1.5, write and test step by step instructions for building Kea on several OSes, which I realize is not as good as providing a repo, but it is a start. https://kb.isc.org/docs/kea-build-on-debian

I can’t find an open issue in the Kea gitlab for creating binaries, so I am going to create one now. Please feel free to comment on it.  https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/issues/425

We did a Doodle poll a while ago, and the OSes used by Kea users were #! CentOS, #2 Ubuntu, #3 Debian.  https://doodle.com/poll/g2ff9rwpdzxwsvhh

Vicky

Kind regards
Kevin

Victoria Risk
Product Manager
Internet Systems Consortium

Am Mi., 23. Jan. 2019 um 20:28 Uhr schrieb Victoria Risk <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> Thanks for this post.
>
> On Jan 23, 2019, at 7:40 AM, Kevin Olbrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> I know we had this talk several times in the past (including myself):
> Debian repos still serve Kea 1.1.0 by default on stretch.
> ……
>

> While this should be fixed, Sury seems to have taken things in his
> hand and provides unofficial builds in a public repository:
> https://packages.sury.org/kea/pool/main/i/isc-kea/
>
> He also provides all sorts of PHP builds for which he is famous.
>
> I would realy like to see an official repo or recent builds of Kea in
> the distribution tree.
>

> We are aware of the problem. We do need to figure out a way to make Kea easier to install for our users. it is on our list to produce some official binaries with our next release.
> Ondřej Surý, our DNS development team lead, is an experienced packager and he did produce an experimental Kea package as you have seen, but the Kea team hasn’t been able to validate it or take it over so we are not recommending it yet.

Wow, I didn't know Ondřej Surý is related to ISC/Kea. I use his
packages for nginx / TLS 1.3 and PHP a lot in our large infrastructure
and they are always working perfectly.
I appreciate his work, a big thank you to him!

> The issue with Kea packaging is, of course, all the dependencies we have on other open source projects (Boost, log4C+, sysrepo, etc). In some cases the versions we are dependent on are ALSO not available in current packages from the OS packagers.
>
> We did, with Kea 1.5, write and test step by step instructions for building Kea on several OSes, which I realize is not as good as providing a repo, but it is a start. https://kb.isc.org/docs/kea-build-on-debian
>
> I can’t find an open issue in the Kea gitlab for creating binaries, so I am going to create one now. Please feel free to comment on it.  https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/issues/425
>
> We did a Doodle poll a while ago, and the OSes used by Kea users were #! CentOS, #2 Ubuntu, #3 Debian.  https://doodle.com/poll/g2ff9rwpdzxwsvhh

I left a vote when it was announced to the ML. We use an image for our
large (distributed) setup of DHCP + MySQL M/S:
https://bitbucket.org/code-orange/netstack-kea-vm

Most of my images are based on Debian for the simplicity of involving
linux newbies and because they allow very small builds.
[I am no supporter of containers (yet).]

> Vicky
>

> Kind regards
> Kevin
>

> Victoria Risk
> Product Manager
> Internet Systems Consortium

Re: [Kea-users] Still unsupported / ancient 1.1.0 in Debian stretch

dougunder

Hey

The Debian way:
Add testing repos to /etc/apt/sources.list

set your default to stable in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/default-release
APT::Default-Release "stable";
install with
sudo apt install -t testing kea

Not 100% of the  debian package name,  were using centos7 with rpms built for our purposes.

I use Debian for all my personal computing.

Hugh Connolly
Network Engineer
P: <a href="tel:413 775 6400 x1015">413 775 6400 x1015