[Kea-users] Subnets in MySQL/MariaDB

Jan Sielemann
Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to KEA. I just wanted to check out the follow-up to
DHCPD, especially because of the ability to store host-reservations in DB.

I successfully mastered hosts-definition yet, but my vision is to store
as much configuration as possible inside the DB. I see, there are a lot
of tables - also one for subnets.

Since I only defined "lease-database" and "hosts-database" in my
kea-dhcp4.conf, I wonder if KEA would also have access to subnets and so on.

My feeling is, that the MySQL-Part is not documented that detailed I
would like it to be - it took a little time to get the hosts
running...but maybe my fault :)

Can someone give me a hint for further investigation on the MySQL-Topic?

Best regards,

Jan
Logo JSIIT Consulting JSIIT Consulting Phone: +49 40 22865465
Jan Sielemann Telefax: +49 40 22865468
Riekbornweg 22 Mobile: +49 1578 6769143
22547 Hamburg GPG-Public-Key: 1D6CA679CEBDF96C
<https://jsiit.info/public/1D6CA679CEBDF96C.pub.gpg>

Re: [Kea-users] Subnets in MySQL/MariaDB

Marcin Siodelski
Hello Jan,

Thanks for your inquiry. Kea 1.6.0 release will include a new feature,
Config Backend, which will allow for storing global DHCP parameters,
DHCP option definitions, shared networks and subnets in the MySQL
database. This is not yet documented because we're currently working on
the actual code. The Kea 1.6.0 release is expected in the summer.

If you're looking at the Kea 1.5.0 version, it indeed includes many
tables, but those tables are unused by this version.

If you're interested in the Config Backend design, it is available here:

https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/wikis/designs/configuration%20in%20db%20design

Marcin Siodelski
DHCP Software Engineer,
ISC