[Kea-users] Updated plan for Kea 1.5 | EOL for Kea 1.3 in December 2018

[Kea-users] Updated plan for Kea 1.5 | EOL for Kea 1.3 in December 2018

vicky risk
Administrator
Kea-users,

We decided last week to reorganize the contents of the upcoming Kea 1.5 release. We will have the following key features in Kea 1.5:

- Support for netconf, and YANG models (for details see https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/wikis/designs/centralized-configuration-db-with-netconf and https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/wikis/designs/netconf-requirements)
- Global host reservations
- Improved congestion control, with an optional subscriber-only hook for advanced tuning of the discard algorithm
- improvements to the High Availabiity feature
- Configuration backend design. We deferred the release of the ‘configuration in the database’ feature because we weren’t going to be ready with that feature. For design details, see: https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/wikis/designs/configuration-in-db-design
- a new premium hook, for managing client classification

We are going to be posting a Beta of Kea 1.5 on November 9th or 10th, and we hope some of you will help us test it.  We are tracking the features targeted at Kea 1.5 in a milestone in Gitlab here: https://gitlab.isc.org/dashboard/milestones/kea15?title=Kea1.5

With the release of Kea 1.5 (planned for early December), we will also be ending support for Kea 1.3. So if you haven’t migrated to Kea 1.4 yet, it is getting to be that time.

Thank you,

Vicky

Re: [Kea-users] Updated plan for Kea 1.5 | EOL for Kea 1.3 in December 2018

mike-2
On 10/25/18 12:10 PM, Victoria Risk wrote:
> Kea-users,
>
> We decided last week to reorganize the contents of the upcoming Kea
> 1.5 release. We will have the following key features in Kea 1.5:

I was wondering when or if ever equivalent support for isc's
"ddns-rev-domainname" option would become available in kea, in order to
support classless reverse delegation of in-addr.arpa. That's the main
feature I need that is stopping me from implementing kea in my environment.

Thanks.

Mike-

Re: [Kea-users] Updated plan for Kea 1.5 | EOL for Kea 1.3 in December 2018

Francis Dupont
In the old Kea trac (still available as oldkea?) there is a migration
milestone with a lot of tickets about ISC DHCP to Kea migration.
This should be in it. These tickets are classified into things needed
in Kea, things Kea should do, good ideas for Kea, and finally things which
won't be ported to Kea. The last kind is for references in the ISC DHCP
to Kea Migration Assistant (not publicly available as it is based on
ISC DHCP).

On 11/3/18 1:19 AM, Francis Dupont wrote:
> In the old Kea trac (still available as oldkea?) there is a migration
> milestone with a lot of tickets about ISC DHCP to Kea migration.
> This should be in it. These tickets are classified into things needed
> in Kea, things Kea should do, good ideas for Kea, and finally things which
> won't be ported to Kea. The last kind is for references in the ISC DHCP
> to Kea Migration Assistant (not publicly available as it is based on
> ISC DHCP).

This one item really seems to be a petty trivial change. All it really
requires is the ability to specify the reverse domain name to use
instead of assuming a default of 'x.in-addr.arpa'. How many lines of
code could it be?

Re: [Kea-users] Updated plan for Kea 1.5 | EOL for Kea 1.3 in December 2018

Thomas Markwalder
Hello Mike:

There are several improvements for DDNS that we have slated for upcoming
work, and this is certainly likely to be one of them. While it may not
be all that many lines of code to add, we are a small non-profit, with
limited resources and a lot of stuff to build. We are working hard to
try fill in the blanks as quickly as we can. We have been focused on
other DHCP features and D2 improvements have had to wait.

It always helps elevate the importance of items when there are feature
requests for them and I would like to ask that you create an issue for
it in gitlab:

https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/kea/wikis/home

This will also help you stay abreast of progress on it.

Cheers,

Thomas Markwalder

PS (We are open source effort and encourage anyone who wants to
contribute to create a gitlab account and join in!)