[Kea-users] User classification and DHCP-Option assignment

[Kea-users] User classification and DHCP-Option assignment

dhairav mehta
We were looking at assigning different DHCP-OPTIONS based on different MAC Addresses connected to the same subnet.

Eg. All MAC addresses starting from 7C:XX:XX:XX:XX should be given IP from the subnet 192.168.0.0/24 (Pool - 192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.200)

And should be allocated DNS address of 192.168.0.254 and default gateway of 192.168.0.254 and all other users should get the IPs assigned from the SAME pool above but DNS address should be 192.168.0.253 & No default gateway should be assigned.

All testing and configuration was performed over Kea 1.3.0 stable (Locally compiled with MYSQL backend support)

We tried using Wildcards for reservations (Did not work.)

We also tried using client-classes, but it only works for multiple subnets. We need to use the same subnet across all IP assignments due to technical constraints.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Re: [Kea-users] User classification and DHCP-Option assignment

Francis Dupont
dhairav mehta writes:
> We were looking at assigning different DHCP-OPTIONS based on different
> MAC Addresses connected to the same subnet.

=> you can use either:
 - host reservations but this requires one entry per host with
   an IP address or a hostname

 - a client class in particular if it is easy to match MAC Addresses

> Eg. All MAC addresses starting from 7C:XX:XX:XX:XX should be given IP
> from the subnet 192.168.0.0/24 (Pool - 192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.200)

=> so a client class seems to be a right solution.

> And should be allocated DNS address of 192.168.0.254 and default gateway
> of 192.168.0.254 and all other users should get the IPs assigned from
> the SAME pool above but DNS address should be 192.168.0.253 & No default
> gateway should be assigned.

=> you can get an issue because the subnet option takes precedence
on the client class one. Fortunately in 1.4-beta there is a way to
inverse the precedence and to compose classes so you should be able
to configure this.

> All testing and configuration was performed over Kea 1.3.0 stable
> (Locally compiled with MYSQL backend support)

=> unfortunately 1.3.0 does not provide the new client class code.

> We also tried using client-classes, but it only works for multiple
> subnets. We need to use the same subnet across all IP assignments due to
> technical constraints.

=> I don't understand the "only works for multiple subnets".
If it means that you want a class which matches only clients
which belong to a particular subnet this is in 1.4-beta.