[Kea-users] Why ISC KEA DHCP (DHCPv4) does not release an IP that has heen reserved and now released?

[Kea-users] Why ISC KEA DHCP (DHCPv4) does not release an IP that has heen reserved and now released?

Eduardo Lúcio Amorim Costa
I reserved an IP ("reservations") for a MAC ("hw-address"). That MAC was removed from my subnet and the IP was reserved for another MAC. That another MAC cannot "get" the IP that is now reserved for it and ends up using an IP from "pool".

What I can do to make the new machine (MAC) use this IP?

Thanks! =D

--
Eduardo Lúcio
LightBase Consultoria em Software Público

Re: [Kea-users] Why ISC KEA DHCP (DHCPv4) does not release an IP that has heen reserved and now released?

Brian Candler
On 17/12/2019 23:39, Eduardo Lúcio Amorim Costa wrote:
> I reserved an IP ("reservations") for a MAC ("hw-address"). That MAC
> was removed from my subnet and the IP was reserved for another MAC.
> That another MAC cannot "get" the IP that is now reserved for it and
> ends up using an IP from "pool".
>
> What I can do to make the new machine (MAC) use this IP?

I suspect there is still a valid lease for the old MAC address with that
IP address.  Kea doesn't rip it away: the new host will get an IP from
pool until the old lease has expired.  For a full description of this
scenario see:

https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/v1_6_0/arm/dhcp4-srv.html#conflicts-in-dhcpv4-reservations