[Kea-users] address not being allocated with perfdhcp

[Kea-users] address not being allocated with perfdhcp

Ahiya Zadok

hi All

I’m using perfdhcp to test my kea-DHCP, while trying to produce DHCP requests via VLAN interfaces, the address allocation process doesn't end successfully.in the DHCP log I see all sessions end with "DHCP4_LEASE_ADVERT" message and no allocation accurse.

while using perfdhcp without VLAN the allocation accrues successfully.

while using the VLAN interface with a single DHCP client (netplan not prefdhcp) allocation to the VLAN interface is successful.

so it seems like when using the VLAN interface with prefdhcp the client doesn't claim the offered address.

basically, I'm a bit lost here, so if someone has any idea what is happing here, it will be awesome.

i hope I'm just missing an option in my perfdhcp command and not a limitation.

attached debug log of the fail transaction.

log.txt (13K) Download Attachment

Re: [Kea-users] address not being allocated with perfdhcp

Andrei Pavel
Hi,

DHCP4_LEASE_ADVERT is usually a good sign. Log shows that an address has been allocated.

What do you mean by allocation not occuring or accruing? Does the perfdhcp report the packet as dropped? Does the packet reach perfdhcp's interface if you do a capture?

Moreover, how is this VLAN set up? Are both VLAN interfaces on the same machine? Why do you need to use VLANs if the VLAN-free setup works?

On October 26, 2020 at 7:47 GMT, Ahiya Zadok <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Andri

Thanks for responding.

On the perfdhcp I see all packets were dropped.

Regarding my setup:

I'm using FortiGate as the DHCP relay.

My DHCP server holds one interface with multiple pools.

All DHCP relay agents redirect requests to the DHCP server IP.

My traffic generator is a ubuntu 18.04 VM (ESXi) with one physical interface and multiple VLAN interfaces, configured via netplan.

Regarding packet capture:

I can see the request (broadcast) gets to the DHCP server.

I can see the offer send out of the DHCP server

But nothing comes out of the DHCP relay(fw)

On the other hand when I'm not using perfdhcp, but configuring DHCP client on the actual VLAN interface it works.

The big difference is when I'm using perfdhcp the relay agent IP on the request packets is the IP of the perfdhcp server.

When using standard dhcp-client the relay agent ip on the request packets is the ip of the fw (the real dhcp relay).

ahiya

Re: [Kea-users] address not being allocated with perfdhcp

Ahiya Zadok

What do you think?

Is there a way to make the perfdhcp, behave differently?