[Kea-users] fe80::

Templin, Fred L
Hi, what will the kea server do with a client's IPv6 Solicit message that uses "fe80::"
as the source address? Will it treat the address as a simple unicast address, or will
it consider the address bogus and drop the Solicit?

I tried using fe80:: as the source address a long time ago, and something (either
kea or linux) didn't like it. Maybe things are better now?

Thanks - Fred

Re: [Kea-users] fe80::

Francis Dupont
I don't think Kea does something special with fe80:: but kernels should
as it is the any router anycast address, so illegal as a source address...

Re: [Kea-users] fe80::

Templin, Fred L
Thanks Francis. I asked the question on the 6man list regarding whether fe80::
is indeed considered a subnet router anycast address and got two different
answers (yes and no) with no conclusions.

I know that when I assign the address fe80:: to a linux eth interface and then
ping6 to fe80:: from a different linux node, the ping6 succeeds and fe80:: is
used as the destination address of echo requests and the source address
of echo replies. But, last time I tried using fe80:: as the source address of
a DHCPv6 Solicit to the kea server it didn't work.

I will try again when I get a chance but just wanted to check to see if there
is some obvious restriction in kea.

Thanks - Fred

Re: [Kea-users] fe80::

Jason Guy
Fred,

It looks like you are referring to RFC 6939 (Client Link-Layer Address Option). Looks like the sequence of events for this are nicely shown here. This means Kea would need to listen to the FF02::1:2, All-dhcp-agents multicast address defined in RFC3315. So the client will need to send to this address as well. I have never tried this, but perhaps this specific feature is not yet supported in Kea.

Cheers,
Jason

Jason Guy writes:
> It looks like you are referring to RFC 6939 (Client Link-Layer Address
> Option). Looks like the sequence of events for this are nicely shown here
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DHCPv6#RFC_6939_-_Client_Link-Layer_Address_Op
> tion>.
> This means Kea would need to listen to the FF02::1:2, All-dhcp-agents
> multicast address defined in RFC3315. So the client will need to send to
> this address as well. I have never tried this, but perhaps this specific
> feature is not yet supported in Kea.

=> Kea listens to the ff02::1:2 address. It should listen to the ff05::1:3
too but it doesn't (it is a known defect, I created a ticket about it but
it is not (yet?) in the list of things to do for 1.3 release...).