[Kea-users] got unexpected keyword "control-socket" in DhcpDdns map.

[Kea-users] got unexpected keyword "control-socket" in DhcpDdns map.

Ivan Sy
root@server1:/usr/local/etc/kea # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/kea restart
INFO/keactrl: Stopping kea-dhcp4...
INFO/keactrl: Stopping kea-dhcp6...
INFO/keactrl: kea-dhcp-ddns isn't running.
INFO/keactrl: Stopping kea-ctrl-agent...
Starting kea.
INFO/keactrl: Starting /usr/local/sbin/kea-dhcp4 -c /usr/local/etc/kea/kea-dhcp4.conf
INFO/keactrl: Starting /usr/local/sbin/kea-dhcp6 -c /usr/local/etc/kea/kea-dhcp6.conf
INFO/keactrl: Starting /usr/local/sbin/kea-dhcp-ddns -c /usr/local/etc/kea/kea-dhcp-ddns.conf
INFO/keactrl: Starting /usr/local/sbin/kea-ctrl-agent -c /usr/local/etc/kea/kea-ctrl-agent.conf
root@server1:/usr/local/etc/kea # Service failed: Could Not load configuration file: Configuration parsing failed: /usr/local/etc/kea/kea-dhcp-ddns.conf:3.8-23: got unexpected keyword "control-socket" in DhcpDdns map.

root@server1:/usr/local/etc/kea # /usr/local/sbin/kea-dhcp-ddns -v
1.5.0

It looks like this section in Kea 1.5 Admin Reference Manual

12.3.2. Management API for the D2 Server

The management API allows the issuing of specific management commands, such as configuration retrieval or shutdown. For more details, see Chapter 17, Management API. Currently the only supported communication channel type is UNIX stream socket. By default there are no sockets open. To instruct Kea to open a socket, the following entry in the configuration file can be used:

"DhcpDdns": {
    "control-socket": {
        "socket-type": "unix",
        "socket-name": "/path/to/the/unix/socket"
    },
}

is not working for me. what am I missing?

Thank you

Re: [Kea-users] got unexpected keyword "control-socket" in DhcpDdns map.

Marcin Siodelski
Hello Ivan,

Thanks for your inquiry. The bottom line is that the Management API is
not supported by the Kea D2 server in the 1.5.0 release.

It seems to be misleading on our web page (https://www.isc.org/kea/)
that the link to the Kea Administrator Reference leads to a bleeding
edge version of the manual, rather than to a version released with 1.5.0.

The 1.5.0 version of the manual can be found here:
https://ftp.isc.org/isc/kea/cur/doc/kea-guide.html

The version of the manual you were referring to contains the
documentation of the changes we have made after 1.5.0 release. Hence the
confusion.

The Management API for the D2 server will be available in the 1.6.0 release.

Marcin Siodelski
Sr. Software Engineer
ISC