[Kea-users] option 67

itay cohen
greetings all

can i send option 67 back to the client even if its not requesting it (with option 55) ?

8.2.8. Standard DHCPv4 Options

One of the major features of the DHCPv4 server is to provide configuration options to clients. Most of the options are sent by the server only if the client explicitly requests them using the Parameter Request List option."

thank you

itay

Re: [Kea-users] option 67

Tomek Mrugalski
On 24/04/2018 14:19, itay cohen wrote:
> greetings all
>
> can i send option 67 back to the client even if its not requesting it
> (with option 55) ?
Yes. See always-send flag.

>       8.2.8. Standard DHCPv4 Options
Did you read it? The answer is in that section you cited.

Tomek

Re: [Kea-users] option 67

Bob Harold

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 9:22 AM, Tomek Mrugalski <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 24/04/2018 14:19, itay cohen wrote:
> greetings all
>
> can i send option 67 back to the client even if its not requesting it
> (with option 55) ?
Yes. See always-send flag.

>       8.2.8. Standard DHCPv4 Options
Did you read it? The answer is in that section you cited.

Tomek

If the client did not request it, then it probably won't understand it even if you send it.  If it does understand it, then it should have asked for it.  Or am I missing something?

--
Bob Harold

Re: [Kea-users] option 67

Tomek Mrugalski
On 24/04/2018 14:48, Bob Harold wrote:
> If the client did not request it, then it probably won't understand it
> even if you send it.  If it does understand it, then it should have
> asked for it.  Or am I missing something?
In a general case yes - you are correct.

However, there are some buggy clients that don't request, but are able
to use (and sometimes even require) an option. Also, some clients have a
mechanism to transparently pass received options to a script.

Tomek