[Kea-users] shared subnet advice

Joe Botha
Hi!

Please point me in the right direction. I've been playing
with a Kea 1.4 dhcp4 config related to Shared Subnets and
client-classes, but not having much joy.

I'd like to have two subnets, one with public IPs, one
with RFC1918 IPs.

Based on MAC address of the client, I'd like to handle 3
cases:

1) Some MAC addresses are unknown and should get RFC1918 IPs,
until they authenticate.

2) Some MAC addresses have fixed IP address reservations in
the public IP pool.

3) Some MAC addresses are known and should get a dynamic IP
from the public pool.

I need to prevent known MACs from getting RFC 1918 IPs.

What would be the best strategy to do the above?

--
Swimmingly,
 Joe

 www.swimgeek.com/blog  +27 82 562 6167  instagram.com/joe.swimgeek
        "...all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

Re: [Kea-users] shared subnet advice

Francis Dupont
Joe Botha writes:
> Please point me in the right direction. I've been playing
> with a Kea 1.4 dhcp4 config related to Shared Subnets and
> client-classes, but not having much joy.
>
> I'd like to have two subnets, one with public IPs, one
> with RFC1918 IPs.

=> note this implies a shared network as pools must be in the range
of the subnet they are declared.

> Based on MAC address of the client, I'd like to handle 3
> cases:
>
> 1) Some MAC addresses are unknown and should get RFC1918 IPs,
> until they authenticate.

=> you need Kea 1.4 with the KNOWN / UNKNOWN classes which can guard
a pool (not a subnet because subnets are selected before host reservations
are looked for in the current (so 1.4) code).

> 2) Some MAC addresses have fixed IP address reservations in
> the public IP pool.
>
> 3) Some MAC addresses are known and should get a dynamic IP
> from the public pool.
>
> I need to prevent known MACs from getting RFC 1918 IPs.

=> I think by "known" you mean have a host reservation. BTW it is required
for a host reservation to provide at least an address or a hostname.
If you want MAC address only matching you need a client class.